We were removing the old popcorn ceiling from the main part of the house.......and got a little carried away....but that is for another time...........
Back to the master bedroom............We started by removing the popcorn ceiling - that is a big messy job, especially the way we did it. We decided to scrape the ceiling when it was dry rather than spray with water and then scrape. This resulted in a lot of dust...LOTS of dust - wearing a mask was necessary. We tried to do the scraping as evenly as possible so that the ceiling would still have texture.
On this picture above, you can see the popcorn ceiling - the bumpy surface....there were also sparkles in it. We scraped all of that - thankfully, we kept the doors shut, windows open with box fans blowing out while we did it and also covered the register vents with plastic to keep the dust as contained as possible............Then we had to dust and wash the walls of all the drywall dust......and patch the walls in places.
By the way, for those of you who do not know what "popcorn" ceiling is.......it basically has little balls of syrofoam or some such substance all over it, hence the name "popcorn". It gives a real strong textured look and was quite popular many years ago. We have lived with it and been fine with it - decided to leave it due to the work........BUT it was so worth doing!!!!
With just the scraping of the popcorn ceilings - the room looked a bit brighter - it was surprising how much darker the ceilings looked with those "popcorn" pieces causing shadows and holding dust.
The ceilings also needed to be dusted........and dusted......and vacuumed.....and dusted. It seemed like there was a LOT of drywall dust on there.
First- we painted the closets a pale soft green - and the walls are a darker blue that almost has some lavender in it.
I wanted to do something really different......we decided to paint the woodwork white and I wanted a darker blue color.........we put color samples on the wall in different places and left them for a couple of weeks before we started any of the job - this room doesn't get sunlight so I didn't want to make it dark and gloomy, but we wanted something different. Finally we eliminated all but the color we chose.
This is the master bedroom and we have considered selling our house, so the main idea is to keep things "neutral". "Hmmmph", I do not want to keep them neutral, but I also don't want to chase off prospective buyers if we move, so all of this was feeling risky - especially since money was tight and we didn't want to have to paint over everything if it didn't turn out right.
We really liked the color blue for the walls, but also felt concern that it may make the room too dark, but we kept on painting all around.....and the white woodwork really worked well with the blue walls. We loved it. :) So, now for the ceiling.........I went step by step according to inspiration which didn't come all at once. First, we bought some light/medium blue paint and painted the diagonal walls of the ceiling. I decided to go a little darker with the top of the inset ceiling, so mixed the diagonal ceiling wall with some of the darker blue wall paint and painted that in the top.
Using some stencils that I already had, I chose about 3 parts of it and did a repeating pattern in white, inside of a circle I had penciled in around the ceiling fan/light. I wanted to create a medallion look- without buying something. :)
I used the same stencils and made a swag at each corner of the diagonal part of the ceiling.....and there is a small repeating line pattern that runs around the inside of the tray part of the ceiling. I loved it and was excited.....but was really pleased when my husband and family loved it.
Ceiling fan is put back together..........
The effect is charming - and romantic......
This is after the new carpet was installed.....
I had wanted to go for the "wow" factor in the changing of our room.........and we are so pleased with it.
I explained what we had done to our room to my builder brother and he said it was a mistake that amateurs make in painting. I didn't think so, but sent him this picture. I loved it when he agreed that it was nice and wouldn't detract from selling.
We lived without carpet in our bedrooms for several weeks, while we waited to be able to afford to buy it. It was a challenge and meant moving all of the furniture more than once, but it worked and we were really thankful for big and little area rugs.
This was a project that really turned out well - we still need to replace the old mirrored closet doors that don't work right anymore....and are saving money for that. The room is darker than it was before, but it does not, in any way, seem gloomy.........it is very inviting and appealing. I love having the smaller lamps and softer lights on.........but also the overhead light.
For cost, we bought paint for the walls, woodwork and ceiling. There were masks to use while scraping. The carpet was the most expensive part, but the carpet was probably 30 years old and NEEDED to be replaced so all of the bedrooms had new carpet put in. We also had to buy drywall mud for fixing chips or holes in the wall. All in all, this project took many man (and woman) hours, but the actual outlay of money was not very high for a completely new look.
Thank you for joining me...........after reviewing this again, I am wondering what other projects we might want to do! :)
Shared on these sites..................
On Display Thursday
Share Your Style
What's It Wednesday
Before and After Wednesday
Show and Tell Friday
The Charm Of Home
Hearts For Home
No Rules Weekend Party
Show and Tell Friday
All Things Thursday
Fabulously Creative Friday
Thrifty Decor Chick