The brass fireplace front looked really dated, so when we were doing our huge family room project, I asked my husband if we could also paint this. He was hesitant, but he reluctantly agreed.
The new paint was looking really nice and then it was time to do the fireplace. Our sons removed the brass front. We saved the insulation(you can see it in this picture) and re-used it when we replaced the front.
One of our sons covered all of the glass in the fireplace front....he did such a good job of covering each of the 4 panels.
We used steel wool to rough up the brass a bit so the paint would hold well, and then we took it out and put it on the gravel walkway for painting.
We needed to use a high heat paint because it is a fireplace front... this is the one we used although there are other brands that should work just as well.
We sprayed it.. and it dried really fast as you can see here. We needed to cover the front, top, sides, etc, so we painted from various angles and let it dry.
On one section, the paint bubbled and wiped right off and I realized some wax had gotten on there. We carefully wiped all of the paint off those areas and used steel wool again.
Then we re-painted.
This was the step that really made appreciate our son's careful taping of those windows. We moved the glass to various positions and painted so that every area of the brass would be covered.
We moved around and sprayed from different angles... another son and I did this step and it helped to wait for it to dry and then look... sometimes it was a bit hard to see what needed a little more paint, so having 2 of us on this step helped.
Time to add the newly painted fireplace front to the newly painted fireplace..........
This was especially nice since my husband had been quite skeptical and I had really hoped he would like it!
When our oldest son, who lives on his own, visited, he was surprised at what a difference this had made. That felt good too. :)
Overall, it has been a good project. It was a lot of work, but we have really enjoyed the results. If you missed other posts in the series, I am including the links to them here:
Family Room Project-Adding Built-In Bookshelves
Family Room Project-Paint Change
Family Room Project-Ceiling Design
Thank you for visiting and I hope you have a great week.
Dishing It and Digging It
That DIY Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Sundays at Home
Snickerdoodle Link Party
Blogger's Pit Stop
Fridays at the Fire Station
Family Friday Link Up
Foodie Friday and Everything Else
Home and Garden Thursday
Thursday Favorite Things
Homemaking Party-Classical Homemaking
Wise Woman Link Up
Wednesday AIM Link Party
Talk of the Town
Tuesdays With a Twist
Inspire Me Tuesday
You're the Star
Cooking and Crafting w/ J and J
Art of Homemaking Monday
Over the Moon Link Party