Monday, December 30, 2013

Homemade Cough Syrup using................ ONIONS?

We have had the flu - the whole family was down with it all at once. After the 2nd day, I was able to make elderberry syrup which really helped to fight the flu - elderberries are wonderful and are great for flu. That will be in a different blogpost; however.

This post addresses a homemade cough syrup that I made and we are using.

The recipe was passed on to me by a dear friend who has made, and used, it for over 30 years. She got the recipe from a missionary friend from South Africa. Here's the recipe as I received it:

                                    ......................................................................................
                                        Homemade Cough Syrup

Cut an onion in large pieces. Mix with brown sugar and set in a warm place for a few hours. We have a gas oven so I always start there. Then it keeps well in the fridge. This is full of Vitamin C.
                                     .....................................................................................................................................................................

Here are the pictures of how I made it......
I didn't know how much brown sugar to use, so I just added and stirred till it looked like the picture above. I used a stainless steel bowl since I was planning to put it into the oven.

I do not have a gas oven, it was late and I needed to get to bed since I was still feverish from the flu, so I just covered the stainless steel bowl with a cookie sheet and put it into the oven. I turned the oven to 350 degrees for a few minutes and then turned it off..........and went to bed.

The next day, this is what is looked like. Notice all of that wonderful juice in there that mixed together overnight, all by itself.

The next thing I did was to spoon the onions out. I just put them into the trash, but if I had been feeling better at the time, I may have tried to use them for something else.
Since there were still some little tiny pieces of onion, I also strained the syrup.....

 I was using a medium sized jam jar (about 4 1/2" tall x 2 1/2" in diameter) and the syrup almost filled it. Pretty amazing.
Next was the test...............how bad would it taste?????

It was still warm from the oven when I first tried it and I was surprised that the onion taste was not as strong as I expected. Yes, you can taste the onion a bit, but it is not overpowering and it doesn't linger, so all in all, we were very pleased with this and will be making it again.

We have the terrible cough left from the flu and this does seem to help so that we can stop coughing as much and get some sleep. It is cheap to make, with things already on hand in most homes, and is done in a few hours. No, the brown sugar isn't good for us, but I decided to do it anyway and we are pleased with the results.Our bottle is still on the counter instead of the fridge since we are taking it frequently. I do need to put it into the fridge today, though, so that it will keep longer.

I really appreciate being able to make our own remedies like this. I am so thankful that my friend passed this on to me. Hope it helps you also.
                        ...................................................................................................................

"But God commended His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8



Other sites you may enjoy..................


Traffic Jam Weekend Linky
Thrifty Things Friday


No comments:

Post a Comment